Día 3: Un Atardecer Recordar

 Josey: 

Day 3 began the same as the other two as I followed the easy routine I had built into the week. After arriving at school, we got right to work by reviewing the answers to our homework we had received the previous day. This work was using ser and estar and making sure we could differentiate them properly. While it was simple for the most part, it became rather confusing when trying to figure out which one to use when describing places and locations. After some explanation, we moved on to using conjugated versions of the words in sentences, then switching it up by creating questions, or negative sentences. Once Héctor deemed we had sufficiently mastered the subject, we moved on to our next topic: reflexive verbs. 


This was mostly a review for me, but we focused on learning the verbs in their infinitive form, then conjugating them and using the right pronouns. We did several activities to put this into practice. First, we wrote down our own routines for the morning and shared them. Next, we listened to a video of someone describing their routine and had to choose which actions they had done, and which they had not, or if the statements were true or false. I found this to be great practice, because we got to work on listening while combining it with the lesson we were learning. We continued to work on this concept by telling stories and watching short animations than describing the actions. We faced the most confusion when working with the verbs that can be done by oneself, or by other people, such as cutting hair. It takes extra thought when thinking about the conjugation of these. 


To finish up our class, we once again took our practice to the real world by asking some of the staff around the office about four parts of their morning routine. This proved to be much more fun than I had expected, and along with learning about what life is like for some people here, I also found out one of the teachers has a son my age who is going to the U.S. to study English! What a coincidence! 


By the time we had gotten through all these exercises, we were out of time, so I headed back to the apartment for a quick lunch before my afternoon activities. 


To begin the afternoon I went to El Museo del Canal. Here I learned all about the process of turning the land of Panama into one of the most economically important locations in the world. Did you know the U.S. Panama Canal wasn’t the first one planned to be built here? The French beat the Americans to the plan, but it wasn’t nearly as successful since it was attempted to be built at sea-level. After a lot of corruption and too many cases of malaria a yellow fever, a hold was put on these plans, but there is still a monument dedicated to the workers en Plaza de Francia. Eventually, though,  President McKinley commissioned a man to look into the continuation of the canal. From there many American architects devised the lock mechanism to overcome the problems that were previously faced. Eventually President Roosevelt recomissend the canal and construction continued until it was finished with what we had to day. On one of his visits to oversee the project he popularized what has become known as the “Panama Hat” however, this hat is actually made in Ecuador! While my extremely abridged version of the story may seem like it was all a great project, during the construction there were huge disparities between the treatment of white and non-white workers. They were paid different amounts, offered different accommodations, and had restricted access to different places. While the building of the canal perpetuated racism and discrimination, it did also lead to the sovereinty of Panamá and the diversity that is seen here today from the many workers that were brought in from all over the world to aid in the construction. 


Hopefully you learned something new from my quick history lesson, I certainly learned and majorly improved my Spanish vocabulary. It was a challenge, but definitely worth it! 


My brain needed a break after all I had learned at the museum, and what better way to do this than by cooling off with some tasty gelato! After my quick stop, it was about time to head to my Sunset Bike tour of the neighborhood. After arriving at the school, I met the enthusiastic guide: Kiki. He was super friendly and gave me a whole other history lesson as we rode across the cinta costera, a bridge that goes out over the water around the coast of Panamá. As we rode, Kiki talked all about the history of the city. I learned about the history of Casco Antiguo, which used to be where the wealthiest people lived, and I also learned much more about the pirates that came to steal the gold in silver from the town of Portobelo on the Caribbean side of the country. The sunset was beautiful and we had a perfect view as we watched from the cinta costera. After finishing our beautiful tour, I returned to the apartment just as it was getting dark. 


Today might’ve been my favorite yet! I got to learn history from a detailed museum, and from a Panama city local, while touring the neighborhood more and learning the culture and slang of the city. 


Sutton


After texting with Josey throughout the day and reading this detailed account of her incredible/exotic/once-in-a-lifetime adventures, I am strategically plotting the fastest route to Panama if I were to make an escape in the middle of the night tonight. My morning was spent on the United app completing the neverending list of international travel and passport documents required to please the customs people on Friday. My mom and I then created a physical and online folder of every possible paper and document we could need at the airport, just in case. Inspired by Josey’s “fieldtrips,” I then went on a fieldtrip of my own with my mom to the..suitcase store! To add onto the Walshes ever flowing spring break drama, the zippers on our bags spontaneously broke off which meant we had to pry the suitcase zippers apart with our fingers. We decided to go ahead and replace the suitcases before we repeated this ordeal in front of the Greggs.


I then dedicated a portion of the afternoon to reviewing Josey’s notes from today’s class. I struggle with the difference between ser and estar - so it was helpful looking at some specific examples and scenarios. Maestra has worked with us on reflective verbs, so those were more familiar to me and so was writing routines. I ran some creative ideas for the video by Josey in Spanish (of course), and we have officially decided on a song. It is a secret, but it happens to be the same song which Josey’s salsa dance goes with. What are the odds?!? We texted the entire day in spanish, which was really empowering because I was shocked at the efficacy and sufficiency of our communication. I am SO excited and ready to talk to her in-person. 42 hours left!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Día 12: Un triste "adiós" a Panamá (y a Héctor)

SPECIAL EDITION: Weekend Recap Days (6&7)

Día 10: Una Sudorosa Visita al Icónico Canal